Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Writing is on the Wall


Jimmy has been giving us a run for our money lately. The addage that boys are different than girls could not be more true. I actually threw up my hands yesterday and kind of gave up. Discipline tactics that have worked with Julia and that work with many other kids haven't really worked with him lately. Our biggest struggle is dinner. Quite frankly, Kurt and I think it really is the worst time of the day. Kurt's perfect day is coming home at 6:30 to kids who have already ate and he can eat his dinner in peace. Last night was a particularly heated battle of me trying to get Jimmy to eat his green beans. The night before we had these really good Snap Peas that were in our CSA box. I knew that the kids would balk at them, since they haven't ever ate them before. But they both like peas alone and they both like to dip stuff in ranch. Anyway, Julia ate them after turning up her nose at first, but figured if she stacked them with her chicken, they were okay. Whatever method it takes. Jimmy on the other hand refused and yelled and stopped eating. He said he wanted green beans instead. Well, last night was your lucky day, because I made green beans. Do you think he wanted to eat them? No way! Even with butter and salt and pepper? No way! Battle Royale ensued for the proceeding 45 minutes. Which is the normal length of time for a meal at our home when the kids are involved. I seriously couldn't take it anymore. The threats of "nothing else for the rest of the night" and "you will get to watch your sister eat her dessert" (which is what happened the night before) did not work. He decided that he'd rather starve. I knew he was still hungry. The solution of reserving the same green beans the next meal sounds like a great idea, but someone has to sit there and implement it and right now I don't have the patience. AHHH...

So, getting back to the the point of my little blog this morning...

I took the kids to the basement to play this morning and I saw a little pencil drawing on the wall.

Me: Jimmy, did you do this?
Jimmy: Yes! It says "Don't feed me vegetables!"

Only 6 more long months until the magical age of 4. 3 is not the best. Next time someone tells me how happy and good natured he is, I will refer him to this blog post.

No comments: