Saturday, June 28, 2008

Think About It...

Kate on soapbox.

Do you ever think about all the trash your family makes? I do all the time and it freaks me out. Every time I go by a "dump" - I can't help but think of all the garbage just in there. What decomposes, what doesn't? What are we going to do when all the dumps fill up? We can only have so many ski resorts. Where will all the garbage go? Will it be sent to outer space? While it doesn't keep me up at night, I worry about what kind of earth we are leaving for our kids.

We do very well at recycling what we can. I am often freaked out when I see recyclables in the trash and have been known to fish out something to put in the bin. I grew up in a family that recycled before it was "cool", so this is probably part of my problem...since it has been ingrained. Our little city offers curbside recycling and it doesn't cost you any extra. Yet I am amazed on trash day how many people don't use their little bin - yet they have several trash cans filled to the rim. Doesn't everyone think like me? I guess not...they are perfectly happy to toss their detergent bottles and papers in the garbage instead of putting them in the little bin. It's not hard.

Maybe I am feeling a little guilty about all the diapers my kiddos have used over the last 3 1/2 years. That totally grosses me out. Would it fill our entire garage? Probably...that is nasty...but its grosser to use cloth diapers. Don't know how you did it Mom.

Kurt would probably tell me that I am nuts, but he gladly goes along with whatever I ask when it comes to being earth friendly. Even when I told him this week that we are now recycling cardboard food boxes, although I will probably have to take it to my parents' to take to their recycling center, since ours does not accept it. It's the little things that make me happy and I am glad that my husband realizes this.

Off my soap box.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Kate, it is so true about the amount of waste we create. Jeff and I started making a concerted effort to recycle as well, and we have significantly reduced the amount that goes into the regular trash bin. That's just from two people, so imagine what would be the impact if everyone would make small adjustments. You can drop off the cardboard boxes at our house if you need to. :)