Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bribery. The Ultimate Parenting Tool

Some experts say that bribery is not an effective parenting tool. They say that the child will then always expect something in return for doing anything. I think these experts have not lived with a child. And if they did, they were not ultra involved. I wouldn't call it bribery, I call it a reward.

Julia stayed in her bedroom last night and didn't come out at all. The lock did not have to go on. I like the lock, but think she is old enough to have a little responsibilty and know her actions have consequences. How'd she do it? I bribed her, or rather rewarded her. I told Julia if she stayed in her bedroom (unless it was an emergency or she had to use the bathroom), I'd let her spend $10 of her money at Target today. We have to go to there anyway to buy my neice her birthday gift (Happy Birthday Olivia!) for this weekend's bash. Julia gets money at holidays and her birthday. We save it for her and sometimes I let her pick things to spend it on throughout the year.

I say that the $10 was a well spent bribe...she was so proud of herself this morning. I am too.

No comments: