Thursday, July 10, 2008

Us

I will admit it to the world - I love to read celebrity news. I don't know what it is or why I seem to care about people I don't even know, but I do. In the past, I looked forward to a doctor's appointment just so I could read the month old People in the waiting room. I received a gift subscription to US magazine for my birthday last year (thanks to my mother in law) and it seriously couldn't be a better gift. Every week, I get a new magazine in the mailbox, who is going to be on the cover, who just broke up, who was arrested? It's a new batch of problems each week. It's fantastic. My favorite part of the magazine is the section "They're just like US" - it shows the stars doing normal stuff, like pumping gas, grocery shopping, picking their noses. It's such a mockery. I feel a little bit bad that I am fueling the crazy paparazzi, but I then remember that they make a ton more money than I do and to be honest, this is what they bargained for. Perhaps they'd like to trade lives with me, shopping at Meijer with my 2 kids, going out to dinner at the Coney Island, feeling bad about spending $50 on a pair of jeans (that I actually needed and that fit my ghetto bootie). I think that is why I love reading US each week...because for the half hour it takes me to read it (and you better not interrupt me while I am reading it) I am shoved into this totally unrealistic world of celebrities where dropping thousands of dollars on clothes is nothing to them. Their lives are so far removed from my housewife existence.

My only gripe with my magazine is that it used to arrive without delay each Friday. Lately it comes willey nilley whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it comes on Wednesday, sometimes not until Monday. It really makes it difficult for me to plan that half hour. I have checked with another loyal reader (Amy) and it is happening to her too, so my mail lady isn't taking it and reading it (so much for that theory). I am crossing my fingers that it arrives tomorrow. I plan to drop the kids off with Lib so she can take them to my moms for the weekend (she works only about 15 minutes from here and it saves me the hour drive to my moms). When I come back home, I will make myself the Carrie Martini (the recipe that was in US), kick back and read my magazine. Then my weekend can start. Kid free at that!

No comments: